Saturday, March 5, 2011

Workers



These are the guys I work with all day. Some more than others just depending on the piece of equipment they run. Each man has his own machine and looks after it. As a whole they are very simple men, most of them just knowing how to run their own machine and maybe a little of another. I absolutely love working with them. Jed takes really good care of these guys and helps them out with so much. They are the core guys but just since I've been around there have been eight or more guys come and go. It's a cultural thing, one guy never showed up after pay weekend and I had to stop what I was doing and take over his machine. His replacement was just as unpredictable and left. They have nothing but respect for Jed and I. To have have their picture taken is AMAZING to them, so they enjoyed posing.They are very jolly men and laugh more than any group of people I've been around.


This is David. He came with the first dozer Jed bought. He literally grew up on the dozer. I cannot speak much with him (language barrier) but I'd choose him before the other operator because David is so good he just knows what to do. He is quite simple but he is by far our favorite. Molly says he's her best friend. He never stops smiling. It is a common occurance to hear him singing above the loud sound of the dozer.


This is Mickey. He is one of my favorites and is the best tractor operators we have. He's good. He speaks english very well and I use him to translate to the others when needed.

This is some of the guys. the two on either ends have been with Jed from the beginning.

This is Meishak. He runs a tractor and does quite well although you have to remind him of some seemingly simple things every once in a while. Something I laugh at is he will come up to me on a daily basis and speak a whole paragraph in xhosa and when I shake my head he just walks away. He saw the camera in my hand and had to pose! I enjoy him but have to use hand signals for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment